Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Small Price for Freedom

Have you ever had a moment in life that really touches your heart in a way that you never thought was possible. Well today I had one of those moments. Today while I was out running errands I stopped to get gas and for some annoying reason I could not get my credit card to swipe at the pump so I was forced to go inside to pay. While standing in line to pay a young gentleman dressed in an Army uniform came up behind me with a soda and bag of chips in hand. I turned and gave him a smile and he smiled back. I proceeded to ask if he was home for the holidays and he so kindly replied "yes ma'am." Something inside me just made my heart light up to know that this young man, who couldn't have been more than 20 years of age, was out there fighting this horrible war for MY freedom. This YOUNG boy. So when I finally made my way up to the counter I turned to him and kindly asked him to please place his soda and chips on the counter for I wanted to buy them for him. He looked at me and smiled with a shocked look on his face. Maybe he thought this old woman was trying to pick him up. I repeated myself and smiled at him. He just stood there with this huge smile on his face and once I finished paying I turned and handed him his chips and soda. With a tear in his eye, he turned and gave me a hug and said thank you. I told him a soda and bag of chips is the least I could do for a young man who is out there fighting for not only my freedom, but for the freedom of this great nation we live in. He stated that no one has ever done anything so nice for him. I told him he was so greatly welcomed and for him to have a blessed holiday with his family and to be safe. As I walked to my car I saw him get in his car and as I was pulling out of the parking lot all of the passengers in his car gave me a big wave. Isn't it funny that my freedom only cost me a bag of chips and a soda. Such a small price to pay. Pt. Jefferson, this one is for you. Thank you for what you do for our country.

No comments: