Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Lately things have been so crazy up at work that I have been working 4 to 5 12 hour shifts per week. I decided that I needed a little break, so this week I only worked my 3 shifts and we headed up to the ranch to have a little fun for the long July 4th weekend. On Friday morning, Stephen, Morgan and me decided to take a ride to the deer pins and check out the deer and get a look at the baby deer that had been born last week. Once we were in the pin we noticed a tiny little deer trying to crawl through the fence. Stephen walked down the fence line to try and get him to stop and pull him back through the fence. When he did, he notice it was a brand new baby deer. It was so little. You could see the umbilical cord was still moist so we knew it had just been born that night. Then the impossible happened. Stephen had to tag the deer and guess who was going to have to help, me. Now, all those who know me, know that I could never hurt an animal let alone hunt one. (How I ended up married to the biggest deer hunter I will never know. The things you put up with for love?) Anyway, Stephen sat the deer back down and went back to the mule (that's an ATV mule not and actual animal) and got his ear tagging kit. In the mean time, Morgan and I kept an eye on the little deer. Once he returned he picked up the deer and placed it in a special bag and I held the baby while he tagged his ear. It was HORRIBLE! It cried out one loud cry and that was it. It still broke my heart that I had to hold it while Stephen tagged it. Next, we let Morgan hold it while it was still in the bag so she could hold onto it better. It was so cute. It was a picture perfect moment but wait, where the heck was my camera? Oh, up at the house on the bar. I totally forgot to bring it down to the pins. It was a picture of a life time and I didn't have my camera. I was SOOOO mad at myself for forgetting it. It was a moment that I will treasure forever. Once we placed the deer back down, Stephen started searching the pin for more possible babies. I turned around to find that the little deer was following me. I stopped and he walked up to me, smelt my leg and gave me two small licks on my leg. I wanted to pick him up and take him home with me. He was so cute. I told him to go lay down before his momma got mad at me. It was really amazing and I can't wait to see how many more we get. So far he makes number 4! One thing is for sure, I will remember to bring my stupid camera!

Morgan showing off some of the projects that we made together. Next is painting them!

Here is a picture of the baby deer that Morgan held. I remembered my camera the second trip to the pins.

This is one of the first deer that was born. He is already getting big.
Morgan and me swimming in the hot tub. The heater was off and the water temp was still 91 degrees. Got to love summer in Texas.
Morgan jumping into the hot tub.

Morgan and Stephen doing sparklers after our little firework show.
Morgan and me doing sparklers. Stephen took the picture, could you tell?






No comments: